Hey all, sorry for the couple of weeks hiatus. Semester turn around had kicked my butt as normal but having a new little baby and an active nearly 4 year old made it extra challenging this go around. I should have known and perhaps one of these days I'll learn to get a bit further ahead but such is life :) On an added note many of the techniques in this article will be a part of my class on Rust and Weathering at Gen Con - details to come soon! And for the SF/non-historical modellers out there - fear not! - these techniques will look every bit as awesome on your Leman Russ, Warjack or Steamtank as they do on this B1 Bis.....
Just for reference, I HIGHLY reccomend transfers from this company to anyone in search of such things and I will also be selling off my remaining sets of marking from this sheet if any of my readers are interested in making B1 Bis of their own! Just contact me directly firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
I then moved on to weathering the model.
Following this I went through again with a brown streaking wash for vehicles by AK Interactive and individually tinted additional panels and began the work of creating layered streaks of grime and such along the sides in particular. This stuff is an enamel product and is really interesting to work with. I am really thrilled with how their line of products has been changing the way I work and even the way I conceptualise working. (More on all this stuff over the coming weeks). The basic technique for using it is to paint vertical lines of random length along the vertical planes, leave it to sit and effectively "bite" into the paint beneath for a few minutes and then use a brush dampened with thinner to drag
away excess. This leaves transparent/translucent streaks along the panel surface. Really great stuff!
Once this had all dried I began using a small piece of sponge (pulled from one of my Sabol Design cases) and began to add additional chips and wear to various areas. I used GW Charadon Granite paint because I
really like the flat dark dirty tone it creates. It really gives great effect. I tried to give some thought as to the areas that would recieve the most wear and am particularily pleased with the way this worked out on the top panel near the turret where the crew would come and go but also where I planned to put the "chandail" jacks whose bouncing around would certainly distress things. I also made sure to place some chips across the transfers as well to aid in the distressing effect and to create that crucial harmony.
Next up: A description of the dirt and oil streaking along the sponsons/sides, weathering pigments and the tracks!